![]() |
| Teachers protesting the abduction, killing of their colleagues in Oyo State. Credit: Channel Television |
Teachers in Ogbomoso shut down classrooms on Monday, May 18, 2026, and marched to the office of the Town’s Teachers Service Commission (TESCOM) to protest a recent kidnapping that left one teacher dead.
The peaceful demonstration was staged in response to the abduction of teachers and students in Oriire Local Government Area.
Protesters carried placards demanding urgent action from federal, state and local authorities to secure the release of those still held captive. They also called for stronger security measures around schools to protect staff and pupils and to restore safe learning environments.
Governor Seyi Makinde, following a security briefing on Sunday, confirmed that one teacher kidnapped in the incident had been killed.
He said efforts to rescue the remaining abductees would continue. Authorities report that seven teachers were taken, along with an unconfirmed number of students.
The incident has heightened concern among education stakeholders and residents across Oyo State, prompting calls for improved protection of schools and faster, more effective responses to kidnappings.
Confirming the development, the governor said one of the abducted teachers, believed to be a Mathematics teacher, was killed by the terrorists.
“What we know right now is that seven teachers were abducted. Unfortunately, we received a video this morning indicating that one of the teachers, understood to be the Mathematics teacher, was killed by the terrorists. Our prayers are with the family,” Makinde said.
The governor, according to Channels Television report, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased teacher and also sympathised with members of the tactical rescue team, including soldiers, Amotekun Corps operatives and local vigilantes, who encountered Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) planted by the abductors during rescue operations.
He stated that the injured operatives were responding positively to treatment and assured that the government would take full responsibility for their medical care, the report added.
Makinde further said the state government had intensified efforts to secure the release of the remaining victims, stressing that both kinetic and non-kinetic approaches were being deployed to tackle the situation.
“We just finished a review of the security situation in the local government area where the abduction of some teachers and schoolchildren took place.
“First, let me appeal to the affected families that their government is working round the clock to ensure that we tackle this challenge. For our troops and service commanders, we have a few wounded soldiers, hunters and other operatives. They are recovering.
“The government will continue to take responsibility for ensuring that they fully recover and that their medical bills are taken care of,” he said.
The governor appealed for calm among residents, community leaders and religious groups, noting that although tensions were rising, the government remained committed to ensuring the safe return of the abducted victims.


0 comments:
Post a Comment