Gunfire erupts as hoodlums ambush Governor Adeleke’s convoy at Osogbo Palace

Governor Ademola Adeleke

Some hoodlums exchanged gunfire with security officers escorting Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke at the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji, on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, according to reports.

The attack happened shortly after Governor Adeleke received his certificate of return from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and visited the traditional ruler to celebrate his victory. 

According to palace sources, the assailants arrived earlier in an unregistered Toyota Sienna and had taken positions around the area before the governor’s arrival.

Witnesses said a heated argument broke out among the group before shots were fired. The motive for the confrontation and the intended target remain unclear. A shop owner near the palace, Laide Misture, told The Vanguard that a few minutes after the governor and his entourage entered the compound, gunfire rang out.

Authorities have not yet released a full account of casualties or arrests as investigations continue.

“The guys were shooting from inside the main gate while the governor’s security team responded from inside the palace.

“The shooting was intense for almost three minutes before the hoodlums ran away with their vehicle before the governor’s convoy could exit the palace,” the source said.

Confirming the incident, the Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, said suspected hoodlums were involved in the shooting.

“It is true there were gunshots when we were exiting the palace and the governor’s security team had to go and engage them. But the circumstances that led to the shooting in the first place, we do not know.

“We only heard that there was an altercation between some groups outside the palace, and we don’t know what caused it or which groups were involved,” he added.
Share on Google Plus

About Newsmart

0 comments:

Post a Comment