Killings: Plateau State governor relaxes curfew in Mangu LGA

Gov Caleb Mutfwang

Plateau State governor, Caleb Mutfwang, has relaxed the 24-hour curfew earlier imposed on the Mangu Local Government Area of the state following the killings and crisis that erupted in the locality since Monday, January 22, 2024. 

Over 40 persons were reportedly killed during the attacks and killings in the council area, while several houses were also burnt. 

The curfew was relaxed after a stakeholders' meeting chaired by the governor. The government has urged dialogue to resolve the crisis. The central region is prone to inter-communal tension that often boils over into religious and ethnic violence.

The governor, who announced the relaxation of the curfew in a statement issued on Friday, January 26, 2024, by his Director of Press and Public Affairs, Gyang Bere, said the curfew is now to be observed from 4 pm to 8 am daily until further notice.

He said the review followed an improvement in the security situation in the local government area after strategic engagements with community leaders across faiths and ethnic groups.

The statement read, “Governor Mutfwang said following remarkable improvement in the security situation and after due consultation with the State Security Council, the curfew has been relaxed.

“He encouraged residence of Mangu Local Government Area to strictly observe the curfew and refrain from taking the law into their hands and urged security personnel to enforce the curfew to avoid breakdown of law and order. 

“Expressing gratitude for the cooperation received so far, Governor Mutfwang urged the community to maintain collaboration with security agencies to ensure the complete restoration of peace and order in the Local Government Area. He cautioned against complacency, emphasizing that the state government remains resolute in preventing any act capable of disrupting public tranquility.

“Governor Mutfwang encouraged citizens to actively contribute to the security efforts by providing credible intelligence to the relevant security agencies. He concluded that government is working round the clock to restore permanent peace in the state”.

Gunmen had invaded Kwahaslalek village in Mangu early on Wednesday.

It was gathered that the victims, who were mostly women and children, sought refuge in the residence of a local community leader. The assailants surrounded the house and took their lives.

This occurred after a previous episode of unrest earlier in the day in Mangu town.

The state is still grappling with the aftermath of the devastating attacks that occurred on Christmas Eve, affecting communities in three local government areas.
Share on Google Plus

About Newsmart


Post a Comment